Amazon Fire TV 4k
Amazon has announced a new FireTV to be released on October 5th. Lets take a closer look at the features and look to see if on paper the gaming addition could be the perfect emulator. Is there enough 4k content and applications available to justify the purchase? This article is going to make the assumption you already own a 4k TV product is just a way to receive the content. This document will be documented as more info is discovered on the FireTV. Leave questions, comments and lists of 4k content in the comments section.
How to Pre-Order/Buy
Amazon will be releasing these two models on October 5th:
The Feature List:
All of the following is taking right from amazon’s site. Use the links about to see the original and pre-order the Amazon FireTv 4k.
- All-new Amazon Fire TV now supports 4K Ultra HD for true-to-life picture quality. Watch high-definition 1080p streams on Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu and more, even without a 4K TV.
- Now with Alexa, use your Fire TV Voice Remote to check sports scores or the weather, play music, and more – instantly
- The easiest way to enjoy over 250,000 TV episodes and movies on Netflix, Amazon Video, HBO GO, and Showtime Anytime, plus games, music, and apps
- Cutting the cord? Watch the best of live TV on NBC News, NBA Gametime, and Sling TV, which includes ESPN, CNN, HDTV, AMC, A&E, Cartoon Network, and more.
- Say it. Watch it. Simply say the name of what you want to watch and start enjoying in seconds.
- Now with 75% more processing power, a dedicated graphics engine, better Wi-Fi support, 2 GB of memory, 8 GB of storage and expandable storage of up to 128 GB
- With over 800 games – the most games of any other streaming media player – there is something for the entire family, including Minecraft, Lego Star Wars, and Pac-Man 256
- Amazon Prime members get unlimited access to Prime Video, including original programming like Transparent, plus over 1 million songs with Prime Music
The Fire TV Gamaing edition has all the above and:
- Fire TV game controller
- 32GB of SD
- 2 Free games
I have purchased a 4k tv and I am stuck with the 4k apps, the fire TV would allow me to have more control over the current 4k apps. What are my real 4k options?
|Netflix requires the Premium subscription which is 11.99 a month. It also requires a 20 mbs connection to the internet.||4k TV Shows: Better Call Saul, Bloodline, House of Cards, Daredevil, Chef’s Table, Narcos and many more see link below.
4k Movies: Not many, will add a list when I find one. If you know one respond in comments and will add
Content List Links:
Netflix PR List
|$99 a year gets you access to the Prime Videos.|| 4k TV Shows: Bosch,Mozart in the Jungle, Transparent, Alpha House, Gortimer Gibbons, Hand of God, Red Oaks,Orphan Black
4k Movies: Funny Girl,Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hitch, Philadelphia
Content List Links: respond with any list of links and I will add them.
|YouTube||YouTube is free. Nothing additional is needed.||There appear to be 1000’s of videos. Search for UHD or 4k|
Use Case 1 – Replacement for TV apps
The TV apps that come on most modern Smart TVs are okay. The main problem I have seen is they are slow and do not update very often. I also hate that I run all my devices into an AV receiver then send just video to my TV. I do not want to send audio back into that receiver. I will also never get a good version of Kodi as a TV smart app. Hopefully the Fire TV will update often with a wide varity of 4k content/content providers.
Use Case 2 – Emulator Box
The gaming edition of the FireTV comes with 32gb of additional storage and a xbox like controller. Once I get this device I want to look at the possibility of making this an emulator box. This has the perfect form factor, processor and controllers(up to 4) for a decent foundation.
I will test the following emulators:
- epsxe – Playstation 1
- GBA.emu – GBA
- NES.emu – NES
- SNES9x EX+ – SNES
If these work I will look into MAME, Sega and Atari. Once that testing is done I will link the document here.
Use Case 3 – Plex and Kodi
These are my two favorite apps for content consumption on a TV. I am hoping that we get to a point where both of these apps support 4k. I feel like this is our best chance of getting there.
Use Case 4 – 4k Sports
After reading about the cable, Dish, and Directv 4k solutions I have lost faith in any traditional provider being able to deliver 4k sports anytime soon. I am hoping that ESPN notices the same thing and releases 4k content through there app. I am assuming if there is an app this device will make it available.
The following links are worth looking at.
After looking at the complete lack of content I cannot recommend chasing 4k at this point. I think I am still going to buy the Amazon Fire TV Gaming edition for two reasons. First I think we will see 4k sports on this device before any other device(I hope the people at ESPN are reading). Second I think this box may be a better solution than any other emulator solution I have looked at.